Thursday, December 14, 2006

Emotionally drained


I told my director today about the job offer. He didn't sound too surprised and we had a grown-up chat about pay and my future at the company. He made it clear that he didn't want me to leave. I tried to be as professional as possible - well I didn't cry or beg.

Then at 5 I was called in to speak to another director, and again at 6:30 as the word spread. In short, they are not pleased that I am leaving. So tomorrow, the director who deals with the financial stuff is going to make me an offer. They have indicated that they will match the package from the new place, but let's wait and see. The annoying thing is, when I told them about the package offered by my prospective employers; they didn't look surprised and without hesitation said that they could match it. It's nearly 30% more than I'm being paid now!!! Damn, am I underselling myself or what??

All these intense discussions were emotionally draining, as they all wanted to know why I was leaving, what they could do to make me stay, was it all about the money, was I unhappy with work etc etc. And because the director's offices all have glass walls (helps transparency at work, ha ha ha) everyone could see us having these "closed door discussions".

The director I saw at 6:30 is from New York and he got quite worked up. At one point, shouting "tell W to go to hell". W is my prospective new employer. I don't think I will passing on that message.

As I said before, let's wait and see. I'll be so relieved when this is all over.

No comments: