Thursday, April 05, 2007

Maundy Thursday: The Mass of the Last Supper

I went to Mass tonight.

Maundy Thursday is a remembrance of the Last Supper (before it all went wrong as Mr K-E says) when Jesus ate and drank with his disciples.

The word "Maundy" comes from the Latin word "Mandatum", which means command. On that night, Jesus gave a new commandment to his disciples - Love one another, as I have loved you.

The other big thing about Maundy Thursday mass is the "feet washing". During the Last Supper, Jesus shocked his disciples by washing their feet, which was a task normally done by servants. He wanted to teach them a lesson about humility and service to others.

At Maundy Thursday mass, we remember this act when the priest washes the feet of 12 "volunteers" (normally ordinary members of the congregation). It's a reminder to all of us to be humble.

I'm glad I went to Mass, it really reminded me that I should be more humble and remember that all blessings come from the Lord. We should try to serve others, not expect others to serve us.

Reading yesterday's post, it makes me *cringe* Arrogance is not very attractive, is it? *giving myself a mental slap* The world doesn't revolve around me, after all.

2 comments:

princess said...

Hiya! Stumbled upon your blog and your posts on attending mass caught my attention. Not to mention your pictures from your visits. Have a great Easter. I just spent 6 hours of kneeling, standing and sitting on Good Friday :p

Katie-Ella said...

Yeah, I just got back from the Good Friday service too. All that kneeling, standing, sitting business...just think how many brownie points we must have picked up! Have a great Easter. Katie-Ella