Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday : Celebration of Our Lord's Passion

Just this morning I was thinking about how the Catholic Church is not one of those "fluffy, cuddly" type churches. You know, the type where everyone is all happy-clappy, hugging, holding hands and singing about love.

The Catholic Church has more of a "suffer now or suffer later" philosophy. All the suffering in the world is your fault. See those nails in Jesus' hands on the cross? You put them there. Our Lord suffered and died for your sins. You are a terrible, terrible person. You should suffer. If you are not suffering, well you must be doing something wrong, and you are definitely going to Hell.

OK if you are really sorry, say 500 Hail Marys while slapping yourself in the face, and then maybe you might get to Purgatory instead.

(Purgatory is about 10,000,000 years of torture and suffering instead of eternal suffering aka Hell. Gulp.)

And guess what, in church today the sermon was about : (yes you guessed it) suffering. And how it's good for you. *Sigh* :(

On a different note, when I got back from church I was absolutely starving. I skipped lunch because I was trying to fast (See! I'm trying to be a good Catholic, honestly!) but when I got back I stuffed my face with hot cross buns.

Split the buns, toast lightly, spread butter and jam. Not meat, so I'm not completely doomed. Not yet anyway.

Soul of my Saviour, sanctify my breast,
Body of Christ, be thou my saving guest,
Blood of my Saviour, bathe me in thy tide,
wash me with waters gushing from thy side.

(One of my favourite hymns, if a little gruesome)

No comments: