Sunday, May 13, 2007

Messing around in the kitchen

What can you do when the weather is crap and it's pissing it down outside?

My favourite things to do - sleep in till very late and then potter around in the kitchen in the afternoon.


I roasted some vegetables in the oven - onion, garlic, sliced peppers and tomatoes. I love oven-roasted tomatoes, their flavour just becomes so intense and yummy. Although you do need to take out some of the pulp or it can beome a bit watery.







I made some cous cous - the easiest thing in the world! Just add boiling water and cover 10 minutes.








Voila! Lovely cous-cous with oven roasted vegetables.







I also made a spanish tortilla with chorizo. Spanish tortilla is made from layered potatoes and beaten egg, cooked slowly in a stove-top pan. Delia has a recipe here. I don't have a heavy cast-iron pan, so I baked it in the oven.



Fry some sliced onions in a pan, and add the sliced potatoes. Then for "authentic" tortilla, you do all the layering in same pan and cook it all slowly on the stove. My frying pan is not really heavy enough for this.







So I layered it all in my trusty Pyrex. Chorizo first, then potatoes. Repeat. Then pour beaten egg all over it. Season liberally with salt and pepper.








Before.









After.






I also made a Keema for Mr K-E's dinner. The recipe is based on Nigella Lawson's recipe in Feast, my favourite cookbook. I didn't have all the fresh ingredients, so I poked around in the cupboards for substitutes eg fresh ginger = ground ginger and fresh lime juice = jif lemon juice.





Serve on hot buttered nan. Delicious.

No comments: