Monday, May 14, 2007

Bad news for vegetarians...

Bad news for strict vegetarians - Mars, Milky Way, Bounty, Snickers, Twix, Maltesers now all contain rennet, which is made from the stomach lining of young cows. The Vegetarian Society is very disappointed.

(And it's not great news for observant Muslims, Hindus, Jews or Buddhists, is it?)

It's kind of weird, I think. I mean, all this time they haven't been using animal products and now they switch to using animal products? Isn't that a step backwards? I've always thought it was cheaper to use artificial/plant-based ingredients rather than actual animal products.

Oh well, at least they are honest.

I guess it's how strict you want to be. I was surprised when a vegetarian friend said he avoided beer unless it was vegetarian beer.

And today, I read that the vegetarian society also says that most vegetarians "avoid honey". Do they really?

Apparently cochineal (dye made from dead bugs) is also to be avoided. I'm finding it hard to feel sympathetic towards dead bugs myself.

No comments: