Thursday, March 15, 2007

Poetry that makes me smile.

You know you are busy when it gets to Thursday and instead of thinking - great, two days to the weekend, you think - oh crap, why isn't there another day in the week?

Haven't done anything blog-worthy so I thought I'd share one of my favourite poems with you:

Candy
Is dandy
But liquor
Is quicker

(Ogden Nash)

No silly emo teenage poems about "being alone in a crowd/misunderstood genius/streaming petals in the wind" etc for me. Well, I guess we've all been through that the-world-is-against-me stage, but it wears off by the late teens I think. I cringe when I think of my teenage "journal", complete with deep thoughts about love and Erasure song lyrics. ('m really showing my age now, hahaha, Erasure!)

Ogden Nash is great - here's another one of this poems and Mr K-E's favourite:

The Wombat

The wombat lives across the seas,
Among the far Antipodes.
He may exist on nuts and berries,
Or then again, on missionaries;
His distant habitat precludes
conclusive knowledge of his moods.
But I would not engage the wombat
In any form of mortal combat.

He has written lots of long poems too, but obviously I can't type them all out and besides you have to choose your own favourites. Look them up here and here.

I can't resist another one:

Common Sense

Why did the Lord give us agility
If not to evade responsibility?

No comments: