Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mr K-E's Curry (Version 1.0)


Mr K-E saw an Australian TV chef making a curry on TV and thought it looked delicious, but more important - easy. He can't remember the name of the chef, who is apparently Australia's number one celebrity chef.

For Fragrant Chicken and Spinach Curry, the recipe is:

(I won't bother with quantities, you'll see why later)
  1. Fry onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, ground coriander seeds, turmeric and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
  2. Then add chicken.
  3. Then add a tin of tomatoes and salt.
  4. Simmer for 15 minutes.
  5. Add soft brown sugar, lime juice and spinach.
  6. Once the spinach has wilted, serve on top of rice garnished with some fresh coriander.
It tasted OK, but it is a "European" curry as far as I am concerned. Tinned tomatoes in a curry? Hmmm. Very dubious.

We followed the recipe exactly, but I thought it was bit bland. Mr K-E agrees. I was suspicious when I saw the recipe - 2 cloves of garlic /pinch of cayenne pepper? We are going to try again with double the amount of spices. And fry it in half butter/half oil.

(And add Thai fish sauce, but don't tell Mr K-E)

2 comments:

Jewelle said...

Its only bland because we asian are used to stronger taste I think. but looks good though! kudos to your mr k.e

Katie-Ella said...

I think you're right, it was nice but not what I would call a "curry".