Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Work

I really enjoy my work, but I've feeling a bit pessimistic about it lately because of my new boss - lets call him Mr B. My old Boss, Mr A, was promoted and I don't really get on very well with his replacement.

To cut a long story short, part of the problem is that Mr B is one of those guys who is always in the pub and his idea of a good bloke is "a total pisshead". My theory is that he can't get his head around me because

  • I'm foreign but I don't have a funny accent and can write in proper English
  • I'm a woman but not interested in flirting with him (or anyone else in the office)
  • In a male-dominated industry, I am actually quite competent at my job
  • Don't want to go to the pub 3 days a week after work to listen to his awful anecdotes. If I had wanted to spend all my life in the pub listening to men's cheesy lines, I would have become a barmaid!
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

(Mr K-E says I should explain - a pisshead is British slang for someone who gets drunk all the time)

He and I are like chalk and cheese in our working styles. I can't understand how he got into his position and I'm sure he doesn't understand me either. Oh well, maybe our working relationship will be like one of those marriages where the couple just grunt at each other. (Not like my lovely marriage, of course)

I went to see my old Boss today and he asked me to stick it out for a few more months. And then if I still found it intolerable, he would arrange for me to be transferred. As he pointed out, I don't really work "with" Mr B, the way the teams are set up we actually work "in parallel".

Yeah, but at the end of the day he's still my line manager, right?

OK. I'll give it another few months. Lets see what happens.

No comments: