Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain

Good combination of food and travel, written in a distinctive blunt, no bull-shit style. Anthony Bourdain leaves his New York restaurant kitchen to travel around the world, eating unusual food and meeting interesting people. What's not to like?

I love books about food so it's no big surprise that I enjoyed reading this book (again). I found it when I was packing my books away for storage and put it to one side to re-read.

There's no big plot; just him travelling around the world and eating as he wanders from place to place. There' s a camera crew following him around but the film crew sportingly join in with his heroic food adventures.

Of course, he had to try durian (in Vietnam) - and he liked it! Hooray! He describes it as one of the few "new" tastes that he experiences in his travels.

Although it will mainly appeal to foodies, Bourdain also provides entertaining descriptions of the people he meets and the culture of the countries that he is visiting.

Maybe some people will be put off by his tone and language but it was OK for me. Refreshing, even. Foodies will enjoy it.

No comments: