Friday, October 05, 2007

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

Made me smile. A "typical" Bill Bryson, sweet and charming. But is it getting a bit same-y?

You know where you are with Bill Bryson and this book doesn't spring any surprises on you. It's an account of Bill's small town childhood and describes his amily, his teachers, neighbourhood, pranks etc.

Despite his best efforts at making them seem weird or unusual, his family are hardly that interesting. It all seemed very white-bread to me. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the book. Just that it's not as fresh as the first Bryson I ever read which made me snort with laughter.

If you enjoyed his other books then you might as well read this one too. If you have never read any of his books, then it's probably best to start with The Lost Continent or Notes from a Small Island.

No comments: