Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gorgeous Goulash


It's been ages since I've done a food post, so I thought I'd blog about our Sunday night dinner i.e. Delia Smith's Braised Beef Goulash with Smoked Pimenton.

I really like this recipe and it's perfect for a chilly winter's evening. It's a pretty standard beef stew, except for the magic ingredients - smoked pimenton, which is smoked paprika from Spain. It comes in two types, sweet or hot. Delia uses both types in her recipe and they make the kitchen smell so delicious and smoky.





I added some button mushrooms to the recipe for extra yumminess.



The whole point of making a stew or casserole is to make a delicious meal out of cheaper, tougher cuts of beef, but it takes organisation to start cooking hours before eyou you actually want to eat. This recipe calls for 2.5 hours of "stewing" - after two hours, you have to stir in some sliced peppers to cook in the final half hour. I guess if you put them in too early they get too soggy.



Then just before serving, stir in some sour cream....mmmmmm. The photo doesn't look that appetising, but believe me, it was delicious.

No comments: