Sunday, February 25, 2007

Saturday - War, the Mousetrap and Italian food.


B (Mr K-E's brother) and his girlfriend arrived on Friday night ready for Mr K-E's family outing on Saturday. We went to see The Mousetrap, Agatha Christie's long running play. It has been running for 52 years and is the world's longest running stage production. The play has not been updated, so as you can imagine it is quite old-fashioned. I thought it was a little bit slow and not something I would recommend to someone who has never been to the theatre. Well, it fulfilled my expectations I suppose. :) Worth watching, but I think the only reason it is still running is because it has been running for so long. If you see what I mean.

Mr K-E's parents saw it 40 years ago, but they couldn't remember any of it. I hope it doesn't run for another 40 years, because frankly, it's past its sell-by date. But who knows, the Mousetrap is practically a West End institution now, in a few years time it will probably be raised to "National Treasure" status.

There was also a big anti-war demonstration in town on Saturday and Trafagar Square was full of people waving "NO TO WAR" placards. I didn't have my camera with me, which is a shame. There was a stage set up and some rapper I had never heard of was singing that song -"War!/What is it good for?/Absolutely nothing!/War! etc etc ".

We were walking along, and I sang "War!/What is it good for?/ The economy!" A greasy-haired man turned his head round and scowled at me... ha ha ha.

After the Mousetrap we went to Strada in the Royal Festival Hall. Oh, lovely food, lovely wine. Amarettos, Limoncellos and Frangelicos all round. A fabulous time was had by all.

No comments: