Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Life in a small town Part 4: Blogging

I've turned into a bit of a "lurker", hanging around other people's blogsites silently. Well, actually, just Brunei blogs which I read with a kind of nauseous fascination. Just from the blogs, it seems that Brunei is still as clique-y as ever, and as s m a l l as ever. All the people from my peer group seem to have married each other or their friends' siblings. Scary. Many of the people who emigrated to Australia or New Zealand seem to be back. (Huh? what happened there?) The rich kids have opened shops/restaurants/spas and stay in business because a) their parents have deeeeep pockets and b) the shop doesn't actually have to make money, it's just something for little Lily*/Yazrin* to do. (*Made up names. Of course.)

But I guess what I really want to talk about is competitive Brunei blogging. I know Brunei. And I know it may seem like a nice cosy community, but in fact it is a hotbed of back-stabbing bitchiness with competitive everything. Someone posts about the fabulous meal they had at the Empire, you blog about your shopping trip to Singapore/Hong Kong/Sydney/London/New York/Los Angeles (in order of blog-points). Oh naughty me, I spent so much money on handbags darling.... smirk smirk. And the boyfriend, he bought the latest MX-12976 titanium golf club/laser pointer/rocket ship etc...

Funny how nobody blogs about what a hard time they are having at work, for example. Apart from monkey fruit, who just lets it rip, colleagues be damned. I like her!

The creepiest thing is when there are blogs written by sisters-in-law. Living in the same house. Mmmmm. I bet that's cosy. Not. I can imagine the bitching that goes on in bedrooms. Your sister thinks she's so funny...all her photos are blur anyway....her english is so half-past-six....anything I do she wants to copy............

Hey, people can blog about what they want. The internet is for everyone to express themselves. :)

2 comments:

Jewelle said...

Hmm, now that you mentioned it...Although I think its also a case of highlighting the best and most enjoyable happenings. Blogging about what a stressful day we had might be therapeutic for that moment but we might regret it the next day.

Katie-Ella said...

And I guess once you post something, it's very hard to retract it - so maybe it's best to remain positive.